20 Feb Vegan strawberry ripe bars
Hands up who loved cherry ripe back in the day? We sure did! We’ve adapted a classic chocolate bar: vegan strawberry ripe bars! Dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free and most importantly, guilt free! Like most no-bake desserts, this is made in well under and hour. How much chocolate you want on these bars is totally up to you. Drizzle them, coat them. The choice is yours.
*makes 6 bars
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries (if you can’t access these, fresh will suffice)
- ¾ cup coconut cream, chilled (collect only the cream layer, not the water)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 300g vegan chocolate
- Combine shredded coconut, strawberries and coconut sugar in your blender or food processor until combined but still a little chunky.
- Transfer into mixing bowl and add coconut cream and coconut oil and mix until combined.
- In a loaf tin, line with baking paper and transfer mixture pressing down to sit evenly.
- Place in the freezer.
- Place chocolate in a double boiler and melt. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut strawberry mixture into bars, and with 2 forks dip bars into chocolate, covering completely and place onto baking paper.
- Refrigerate and then enjoy!
*you are not restricted to making bars here. You could turn these into a slice, cutting into squares or roll into balls and coat or drizzle with chocolate.
What’s great about these vegan strawberry ripe bars is they aren’t too sweet! We’ve added minimal amounts of coconut sugar. Therefore, the sweetness is simply coming from the strawberries and coconut.
Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C, making it an excellent immune and anti-ageing food. Did you know that strawberries are also a good source of calcium? Not to mention magnesium and phosphorous.