02 Apr Vegan gluten-free brownies
Brownies. Gooey vegan gluten-free brownies. Pure delight. I mean, let’s be honest here; who doesn’t love a good brownie? We openly admit to being rather obsessed.
Made in under 35 minutes; these vegan gluten-free brownies, are deliciously gooey, refined sugar-free and super high in protein.
They make the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth whilst being gentle on your blood sugar levels.
If you want brownies that are easy to make, rich, chocolaty, have the perfect fudge factor along with the perfect amount of peanut butter, then this recipe is for you!
*makes 6 brownies
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup sweetener of your choice (we went with unrefined dark agave syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup raw cacao
- 1 cup besan flour
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tsp smooth peanut butter (this works best to swirl)
- Preheat oven to 175C
- In a small bowl, add water to chia seeds, stir well and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl combine melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, your sweetener and vanilla extract and whisk until coconut sugar is combined and dissolved
- Add the chia mix and continue to whisk
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and cacao and mix well
- Add in the vegan chocolate chips and stir through once more
- Line a loaf tin (23cm x 13cm) with baking paper and pour mixture in, spreading evenly
- Add peanut butter in dollops evenly, and swirl around
- Baking for about 18 min or until edges look cooked and mix is no longer sticky (unless you prefer gooey brownies then bake for about 15 minutes)
Besan flour is also known as chickpea flour. A great option for coeliacs, gluten intolerant or those who are simply gluten free. Besan flour is extremely high in protein, making this a really healthy choice for a flour. Besan flour also gives a moist and fluffy texture.
Team it with peanut butter, and you have a really high protein snack! The best part? It’s a brownie!
Raw cacao is rich in minerals such as magnesium. An essential mineral for the healthy function of our nervous system and to reduce nervous tension. Cacao is also high in antioxidants which are protective against free radicals that can cause ageing, poor immune function and inflammation.