06 Mar Spiced Chickpeas
These tasty little spiced chickpeas are the perfect snack, addition to a platter or added to the main event. With a delicious blend of moroccan spices and a hint of tamari, these will help take any meal to the next level of flavour.
If you’re struggling to get enough protein in, there’s no need to worry! These spiced chickpeas are an easy way to bump up your protein levels.
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ tbsp tamari
- A decent pinch of salt
- Combine spices and sugar and set aside
- Place oil in prying pan, and set to a medium heat
- Cook chickpeas for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Place in a bowl, add spice mix and toss through
- Drizzle with tamari and allow to cool
- Serve as a snack or add to salads to increase the protein content
As mentioned, chickpeas are a great source of protein. 1 cup gives you 14.5 grams of protein. They are low in fat and high in dietary fibre. 12.5 grams per cup to be exact. For vegans, vegetarians or those simply trying to increase their protein intake, chickpeas are a great way to go.
Tamari is a much healthier alternative to soy sauce. Whilst both are derived for fermented soybeans, the soybeans used for soy sauce are roasted with wheat, approx. 50:50 ratio. Tamari uses little to no wheat. It is a better option for those who are gluten intolerant. You can find gluten free tamari aswell.