Vegan mac n cheese!! Everybody loves mac n cheese. How can you not? I mean, look at it!
It’s incredibly easy to make and we can assure you, it really hits the spot. What our vegan mac n cheese isn’t lacking is flavour. Dare we say, it’s better than the real thing? We’re gonna own it…it is!
This recipe serves 2, or 1 if you’re super hungry….
400g curly pasta (or any of your choice)
1/4 pumpkin chopped into cubes
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dijon mustard
Splash of tamari
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: grated vegan cheese
* Not the made milk – 4 tbsp of the base – this is your cashew replacement
1. in a medium sized pot, place the pumpkin in and fill up the water, ensuring you’re not covering the pumpkin (you will be using this water for the sauce, so less water is better, you can always add more later).
2. Boil the pumpkin for approx 12-15 min or until soft.
3. In another pot, cook your pasta.
4. Once pumpkin is soft, transfer to your blender or food processor along with the water it’s been cooked in.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients into your blender and whiz it up on high until you have a smooth and creamy sauce.
6. Once your pasta is ready, drain and place back in the pot, add your cheezy sauce and re-heat if it needs it.
7. Garnish with salt and pepper and fresh parsley.