Vegan Custard Tart
If you’ve been looking for an easy recipe for a good old fashioned custard tart, like the ones you’d find in a bakery, then look no further. This vegan custard tart recipe will fool anyone! The best part is, this delicious treat is dairy free, vegan, refined sugar free, is so easy to make and is low in calories!
*Makes 9 small tarts
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ ground walnuts or almonds, your choice
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted (we used Loving Earth’s Cold Pressed Coconut Oil)
- 1.5 agave syrup (our fave is Loving Earth Unrefined Dark Agave Syrup)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup Nut Mylk Base mylk
- 3 tbsp agave syrup or sweetener of choice (rice malt syrup etc.)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp arrowroot
- pinch of turmeric for the colour
To make the base
- Combine oat flour, ground nuts, desiccated coconut and salt in a mixing bowl
- Add coconut oil and agave and mix well
- Press into mini cake tins or patty cakes. If using patty cakes, make sure there is a ridge so the custard can sit within the crust
- Pop in freezer to set
To make the custard
- Place mylk, cornflour and arrowroot in a small pot, and stir until completed blended
- Turn stove on to a medium heat
- Add agave syrup, turmeric powder and vanilla bean paste
- With a whisk, continually stir, and custard will gradually thicken. Once it has thickened to your desired consistency remove from heat. This should only take a few minutes, so don’t take your eyes off the prize
- Remove base from freezer, and fill with custard. Top with anything you choose. We went with fresh strawberries.
- Get them in your belly!
This vegan custard tart recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, vegan friendly AND high in fibre. Also, quite possibly the most delicious vegan dessert you’ll ever eat.