Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
Nothing like a healthy carrot cake muffin! Now, these vegan carrot cake muffins may look decedent and drool worthy but we can assure you, they are guilt free!
If you look at recipes for carrot cakes, they are commonly laced with sugar in the cake and the frosting. We are spoilt with choice for healthy alternatives to sugar, so we have switched them out in this recipe.
We also went for spelt and oat flour. While it’s not gluten free, its unrefined, low GI, high in fibre, minerals and B vitamins.
For anyone wondering what the heck xylitol is; it comes from a tree! It’s a great alternative to sugar as it tastes just like it but lacks calories and doesn’t spike insulin and inflammation like regular sugar does.
We hope you love these just as much as we do!
- 1/2 C nut milk (made using our Nut Mylk Base)
- 1 C spelt flour
- 1 C oat flour
- 3/4 C coconut sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 2.5 C grated carrot
- 1/2 C coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 C chopped walnuts
- 3 C powdered xylitol (any sweetener will do - this one is just zero calories and better for you)
- 1/3 C vegan butter
- 2-3 tbsp nut milk (made using our Nut Mylk Base)