22 Jan Raw vegan caramel slice
Raw vegan caramel slice. Oh my! This recipe will have you hooked for life. It’s our personal favourite. A perfect guilt free treat that’s low GI, gluten and dairy free. Who would’ve thought that something that tastes so good is not actually bad for you?
*makes 12 squares depending on the size you cut them
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ½ agave syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 tsp mesquite
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- Pinch salt
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp cacao butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- Pinch salt
- Line a square baking dish with baking paper and set aside.
- In your blender, combine BASE ingredients and blend until a sticky mixture is formed. You may need to add 1 TBS of water, but be sure not to add too much.
- Press base mixture into square baking dish firmly, and place in freezer.
- Clean your blender.
- Melt the coconut oil in microwave or over a low heat.
- Combine coconut oil and remaining caramel filling ingredients in your blender, and on a slow-medium speed combine until smooth. This won’t take very long.
- Pour over base evenly, and place back in the freezer for 1 hr.
- In a saucepan over a low heat combine chocolate ingredients until melted.
- Pour over caramel filling and place back into freezer.
- Should take about 2 hours to set depending on how firm you want your slice.
A healthy alternative to a classic slice.
This raw, vegan, caramel slice is gluten free, egg and soy free, dairy free and paleo.
This slice is low GI due to ingredients like dark agave syrup, mesquite, almonds and cashews. This means you get a sustained release of energy as opposed to high GI foods (such as refined sugar) causing spikes and crashes in energy levels. Some call this 3:30-itis.
Cashews and almonds are a great source of fibre and protein. The high fibre and protein content provides you with a sense of feeling full. Teamed with low Gi ingredients, you won’t feel the need to devour the entire tray, nor will you feel sick after consuming this delicious caramel slice.